Monday, October 5, 2015

Fashion Over Fifty: Why You Need to Buy a Long Cardigan This Fall

I am absolutely loving the longer lengths I'm seeing in all the new fall fashions.  In addition to longer skirt and dress lengths, they are also making tunics, shirts, and sweaters longer too!  This is great news for women like me who want to wear leggings, but also want to keep that butt covered!  My favorite new long items this season are cardigans!  They not only go way past the butt, but most are to the knee or longer!  I've even seen some that go all the way down to the floor.  


The floor length cardigans are lovely, but a little too much of a nuisance for my taste (knowing me, I'd either catch my heel on the hem or I'd pee on it when using the bathroom :) ), so I chose this knee length sweater from J.C. Penney (mine is sold out already, but there are many similar ones available HERE and HERE).  I absolutely LOVE this sweater!  I got so much attention and compliments the day I wore this sweater, and it's just a simple jean and t-shirt outfit.



I wore my new cardigan with an embellished tee from Old Navy (old), and a light wash, boot cut denim jean from American Eagle.

Here is a back view so you can see long the sweater is.  I think my purse is pulling the sweater up a bit on the right, hence the uneven looking length in the picture.


The sweater has a very open weave, so it is nice early fall layer without it being too warm.


Here is a close up of my embellished tee.  I normally don't wear a necklace when I wear an embellished tee, but we were traveling when this picture was taken and I didn't have a safe place to put my necklace that I wore the day before, so I just put it back on the next day.  The butterfly is pretty small, so it didn't compete with the jewels in the top too much.  And my photographer/husbands obviously missed the detail of the necklace being crooked when this picture was taken.  Oh well, I'll forgive him.  He has really come a long way with his photography skills in the past few years ever since I started my Fashion -Over-Fifty posts!  I can't be too picky!  He is free and available after all!


I carried a very old JCP brown tote, and wore my blue stone and silver bracelet that was a souvenir from one of my Colorado trips.


For footwear, I started out the day wearing a tan, suede boot, but we were walking a lot, and although they were semi-comfortable shoes, my feet started to hurt.  Because we were traveling,  I had my new Liz Claiborne black boots (shown before HERE) in my suitcase and even though they didn't quite match the outfit, I switched the boots out because my feet were begging me to.  I was glad I did.  The chunky heel of the Liz Claiborne boots were much easier to walk long distances in.


The long cardigan is such a statement piece.  If you can only buy one new item this fall, I would highly recommend purchasing a long cardigan.  It will instantly update the rest of your existing wardrobe, and you can literally wear it with anything.  I have seen women wearing them with shorts, dresses, skirts, skinnies….they go with everything.  You can't go wrong styling one of these!


So what about you?  Have you purchased a long cardigan yet?  And if not, have I sold you on buying one?  I'd love to hear from you!

Have a great day!  Amy

Linking Up with these Fabulous Blogs HERE!




16 comments:

  1. I'm loving long cardigans for fall! This is such a cute look!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cozy cardigan! Looks like the perfect weekend look Thanks for linking up with us on Start The Week Stylish!
    - Ana Luiza
    The Northwest Blonde

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the long cardigan look. Yours is so cute!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of long cardigans because they give such a nice vertical line. I am thrilled that you joined the first My Refined Style Fashion Over 40 Linkup! I hope will see you back many times in the future.

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The long line cardigan looks great on you!

    Alicia | Between the Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! Everyone needs a long cardigan. You look great!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cozy and ready for fall!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree a long cardigan is a must for this season. They are chic and versatile. Thankfully I own a few already. Love your oatmeal one, Amy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this length, I don't think I could do the floor length one either, I would probably trip or get it caught on something! lol! This is so pretty with the embellished shirt, too.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cardigan! Gorgeous and you look great in it. I really know what you mean about having to pee, that's what I thought the other day when I wore a jumpsuit. What was I thinking? glad to have found your blog��

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love duster cardigans! And yours looks great on you.

    Saw you on Monday Mingle. Here's my Monday Mingle post...
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com/visible-monday-160-tropical-blooms-and-a-giveaway-for-you

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great length!! I love these longer lengths too! They are so easy and flattering. Such a cute look!!
    XOXO
    Katey
    http://www.twopeasinablog.com
    Thanks for joining our Tuesday Fashion Party Link-Up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love duster sweaters! I think this a great piece for all ages!

    xo Michelle Paige
    www.michellespaige.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use to own so many duster cardigans back in high school and loved them. i need to add them to my closet again. Yours is so pretty.
    Thank you for linking up to "Bloggers Who Have Inspired Me" link up
    Rachel xo
    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cardigans are versatile and look always chic!
    Nancy
    http://wearingcasual.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm still looking for the perfect long cardigan! I love your outfit! It looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love feedback from my readers. If you have a blog, I always return the love by visiting within a week whoever leaves a comment.