Friday, August 29, 2014

Fashion Over Fifty: Choosing Summer Clothes Wisely

Hello!  As promised I'm back with more pictures of the gorgeous Cook - Rutledge mansion in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  If you missed that post about our family visit to this house, you can see it HERE.  I'm also back wearing my dated Capri's!  Remember this POST where I talked all about how the fashion gods no longer want women wearing Capri's?  Well, like most American women, I'm still wearing them.  I considered wearing my white denim skinny ankle length jeans with this outfit, but it was a little hot to have denim sticking to  my legs.  So I told the fashion gods, 'Sorry, but until I find that perfect little white skirt, the Capri's stay!'.

 For my casual summer outfit I chose white cotton Capri's, a loose fitting polyester shirt by a.n.a. sold at J.C.Penney (sold out), and some comfortable navy blue flats.   I don't know what it is about this shirt but it draws attention wherever I go.  Everyone always tells me how much they love it.  I bought it on a whim as I was walking out of the mall and back to my car.  I'm always looking for cool, comfortable shirts that aren't clingy.  Clothes that cling to my hot, sweaty body in the summer just aren't cool.  I also like that it camouflages my stomach area because it is tight in the bust but loose in the waist.  I actually bought two shirts that day, one is blue and white and has the lace detailing on the side.  I couldn't decide which one I like better, so I bought both.  LOL!  I'll show you that shirt another day.


 So talking about cool clothes that camouflage unsightly body parts brings me to my topic:  Choosing Summer Clothes Wisely.  Summer is a difficult time of the year for someone over fifty to dress.  We want to be cool and comfortable, but, at the same time we know our bodies don't look like they did when we were in our twenties, so for most of us short shorts and clingy tank tops are out of the question.  We all have different parts of our bodies that we consider our problem zones.  For me, it has always been my stomach.  I don't like my thick upper arms much either, but,  I still wear tanks.  I can't cover up everything!  Every woman has to figure out what her body type is, apple, pear, triangle, etc.  (I'm an apple),  and dress accordingly.  For me, tops like this really work, and I also like to wear pants or skirts that are more tight fitting to show off the thinnest part of my body:  my lower half.  You can learn what clothes are best for your body type by reading various style blogs like Bridgette Rae's, or, by simply trial and error.  I don't always agree with everything stylist's say.  I have to try it for myself, and just see what I think really looks and feels good on me.

 I love my new cross body bag from Francesca's (sold out).   I bought it to go with my new bohemian dress that I wore to the Wisconsin State Fair, but I found it is a very versatile bag even though it has a pattern on it.  It's also large enough so that my big old wallet fits inside and I don't have to change wallets every time I use a smaller handbag.

 I wanted to wear some type of jewelry, because I believe an outfit without jewelry is just not complete. However, it was really hard picking something out because all my jewelry seemed to conflict with the busy pattern of the top.  I finally chose this multi strand pearl necklace, but I wasn't crazy about it.  The second time I wore this outfit I ditched the necklace and went with pink and silver statement earrings and it looked much better.  See?  Trial and error!
 Here is a close up of the top so that you can see the beautiful lace detail.  As I've said in numerous previous posts, lace is one of the hottest trends right now and it is popping up everywhere.  I even bought a red flannel shirt that has lace on it!  I love just the touch of lace that this shirt has, because I think I'm just too old to wear too much lace.  It's a tricky material:  too much is either young and girly or it can even be too granny-like.  Use it, but use it wisely.   I prefer to incorporate this trend in small details like this:
 I bought these Scrunch Flats from Payless at the suggestion of the sales associate.  She says they are the most comfortable flats she ever owned.  I was hesitant, I mean, their scrunchy…how could they have much support?  But I tried them on and fell instantly in love.  They have a wonderful cushioned insole and are so comfortable.  The perfect shoe for a long day of walking!  And they are cheap too!  You could buy one in every color.
Well I hope I have given you some suggestions for warm weather dressing if you over fifty.  It really is a matter of body type and what you are comfortable wearing.  It is an issue every woman has to address for herself through trial and error, and some research.

Have a great day!  Amy

2 comments:

  1. I really like that top! I usually ALWAYS wear capris!! So much better than showing my legs in shorts!! LOL!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why everyone compliments that top. I really love the pattern and lace accents and colors too. If it were up to me capri's would never go out of style. Love wearing mine, although mine are usually the "jeans" fabric. Beautiful shoes too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love feedback from my readers. If you have a blog, I always return the love by visiting within a week whoever leaves a comment.