Friday, March 28, 2014

Fashion Over Fifty: Playing with Plaid

Hello!  For this week's Fashion Over Fifty post, I'm playing with plaid.  Oh, and if your still wondering why in the world I'm still showing winter outfits, it's because it is STILL cold here in Wisconsin.  Trust me, I would love to show you some new spring outfits, but it was only about 9 degrees when I took this picture five days ago.  I hear we are going to get one day in the fifties on Sunday, and then the temperatures will quickly plummet back into the thirties.  So I fear if your looking for spring inspiration, you will have to look elsewhere.  Anyway, back to the plaid.  Plaid was all the rage this past fall and winter.  I kept seeing it everywhere and resisted it.  But when Bridgette Raes, one of my favorite style bloggers, did a post around this fun ModCloth plaid shirt  I could resist no more.  You really need to go check this post out and see how she styled this plaid shirt.  She's amazing!  I had to have a plaid shirt after I saw all the different ways I could wear it.

When putting together this outfit, I was inspired by Look #2 on Bridgette's blog.  Here is what I came up with:
 I used an off white scarf instead of a blue one, not only because I didn't have a blue one, but I thought a white one was at least a tad bit more 'spring-like' than a blue one.
 Because my scarf covers up my neckline, I wanted to show you a picture of the shirt as it appears on ModCloth.  It has a deep neckline with buttons, one chest pocket, and sleeve tabs.  A lot of previous buyers of this shirt described the material as thick, but I found it to be a very thin flannel, which I prefer.    Because I carry all my extra weight on top, I do not like to wear bulky sweaters, sweatshirts, or tops for I feel they make me look even bigger.
 Here is a close up of the sleeve tabs, pocket, and plaid print.  The shirt is very soft, and I love the length.  I have a long torso, and many tops are too short for me.  And because of it's length, I could probably wear this with leggings too.
 I purchased my scarf at Target.  It has a nice long fringe and a beautiful lace inlet detail.
For my bottom half,  I wore a dark denim barely bootleg jean from Express.   I can't even begin to tell you how hard it is to find a pair of jeans today WITHOUT holes.  My friend and I were shopping yesterday and we were laughing at all the jeans with holes in them.  We couldn't find hole-less jeans anywhere.    I mean, really, I know it's 'in' right now, but if I wanted a new pair of jeans with holes in them, I'd just pull out an old pair from my closet that got holes in them the good old fashioned way:  HARD WORK!  Spend a few hours gardening kids, and you will have plenty of holes in your jeans.
 Because we still have plenty of ice and snow on the ground, I wore my old stand by leather dress shoes that have a nice heel to them, but plenty of rubber traction.  The ice is actually getting worse instead of better because during the day it melts, and then overnight it freezes again, making it more slippery now than it was all winter.  Oh, cold weather, please go away and stay away!

And finally, because I have a scarf on and you can't see my neck, (and my long hair covers my ears, so what's the point of earrings?),   I wore a simple, multi colored bracelet from Lia Sophia.
This was my first experience shopping with ModCloth and I really enjoyed it.  What a fun company!  Did you know that they have a customer style gallery where you can submit a picture of yourself wearing your new ModCloth clothes and they put it in their Style Gallery?   You can even 'love' other customers style photos.  Check out my style photo HERE.  Another fun thing ModCloth does is to allow the customer help make the decision on what clothes the company will produce and sell.  It's called 'Be the Buyer' where you can look at pictures of clothes being considered for production and vote for them.  It is so fun!

So what about you?  Did you embrace the plaid trend this past season, or did you never stop wearing plaid and you always have a favorite flannel shirt hanging in your closet?  There is something so comforting about flannel, and it seems the older the shirt gets, the softer and more comfortable it becomes.

Have a great day!  Amy

3 comments:

  1. You look great in that outfit, love the shape and length of the shirt!
    hugs
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ciao! Hello!
    You are an amazing woman..
    Do you like plaid and gingham shirts?
    Do you have other photos in them for me?
    tanxx
    Antonio
    Italia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. Yes, if you google "Plaid Shirts" in the search box above, other plaid shirt outfits will show up.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love feedback from my readers. If you have a blog, I always return the love by visiting within a week whoever leaves a comment.