Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Quechee Village, Vermont

Hello!  I normally only do one travel post a week, but I spent my entire day off yesterday planning our holiday vacation so I wasn't able to spend any time in my craft room…thus I have nothing 'crafty' to show you.  Plus, I realized that my holiday vacation is only a few weeks away (yeah….happy dance!), so I really need to finish up with my posts from my summer vacation to New Hampshire because soon I will have new pictures and stories to share.

On day four of our New Hampshire/Vermont vacation we started our adventures with a stop at Quechee Gorge.  From there we took a short drive across this adorable covered bridge to enter Quechee Village.

 This covered bridge is actually a reconstruction because the original bridge was completely destroyed by Hurricane Irene in 2011.

Below is a view from the bridge.  You can see the back side of the restaurants, shops, and glass blowing factory.  This area was also significantly altered from Hurricane Irene.  There are old photographs in the glass blowing factory that show what it use to look like before the hurricane hit.  One building was a total loss, and has still not been fixed/rebuilt, and a sidewalk behind the buildings now longer exists.
Me in front of the newly constructed bridge.
 The highlight of Quechee Village for us was the Simon Pearce Glass Blowing Factory and shop.  There are three floors to this beautiful historic building.  The highest floor has a very expensive restaurant which overlooks the river  (No, we did not eat there.  I like good food, but I have a hard time spending a ton of money on something that will be gone in a few minutes).  The main floor is a store which sells the hand blown glass creations, and the basement is where the items are made:  this is where we spent most of our time.  There are benches where you can sit and watch from start to finish a glass creation being made.  We watched this young man make a Christmas Tree.  The artists are close enough that you can talk to them,  and ask questions.  They were all very friendly.
 There are benches behind these fences that you sit on to watch the artists.  The fences form 3/4's of a square.
 At the end of the square, is a outside balcony where you can view the covered bridge.  There are also old photographs of the mill and area so you can see what the factory looked like before Hurricane Irene and all the damage photographed the day after.

 This is the outside of the mill.  Just gorgeous!
 There wasn't much else to see on this street.  There was an art gallery across the street from the mill (which we did not go into), and then this pretty historic hotel next door:
 I love old churches, and this one was right down the street.
Have a great day! Amy

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and photos Amy, that factory sounds very interesting. Can't wait to read about your holiday getaway, I bet it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really gorgeous photos Amy! I love the historical buildings and houses!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous country side and fabulous photos!
    hugs
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love feedback from my readers. If you have a blog, I always return the love by visiting within a week whoever leaves a comment.