Friday, May 20, 2011

Phlox, Flowering Crabapples, and Baby Birds

This year I'm going to try really hard to photograph my garden throughout the season, and write posts about all the new blooms. I've already shown you my daffodil post HERE, now most of my daffodils are gone with the exception of a few stragglers, but the Creeping Phlox, Flowering Crab apple Trees, and Lilacs are in full bloom and my yard looks and SMELLS like heaven! This is my favorite time of year, when everything is clean and new, and the air is intoxicated with perfumes. This first picture shows a view of my yard from my front porch. My yard is HUGE. This is just the west side. The small pond is right in front of my porch. I can hear the sound of the fountain in my kitchen window and upstairs bath, and it's perfect for greeting visitors. This is an old 'butterfly house'. I've never seen any butterflies use it. The tulips are fading already, but the Bleeding Hearts are just starting.


This white flowering crab apple is just GORGEOUS right now. It takes my breath away every time I look at it. I have 4 flowering Crab apples in my yard. They are my favorite trees! They provide year long interest: Flowers in the spring, purple foliage in the summer, and red crab apples to feed the birds in the winter. They all bloom at different times too. Just when one is done blooming, another one starts. Those are some late blooming daffodils below the tree, and a small lilac bush in front of it. This is a path down to the south porch of my house. It's the same path the guests walked to my daughter's wedding last year.



Here is my pink flowering crab apple. It's not in full bloom yet, it's just starting to blossom. In the background you can see my creeping phlox.









A close up of a lilac. Oh, how I love the scent of lilacs!








Here is a close up of the hill where my creeping phlox blooms. It's actually my septic mound. LOL!








And finally, some little baby robins! My yard is a virtual habitat for birds! I have every possible bird you can imagine in my yard. They love living here. There are bird nests everywhere! Their favorite place to nest is my hanging baskets. I have about 16 hanging baskets around my yard, and I currently have bird nests in two of them. It sure makes watering them hard!








As soon as I came close to the nest, the baby birds opened their mouths wide thinking I was their mother coming to feed them. Mom was not far off, watching me with worry as I took pictures of her babies. She didn't like that at all!


I hope you enjoyed my mid-spring garden tour. Have a great day! Amy











9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous garden tour! Fabulous flowers and how I love the picture of the baby Robins- Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you have an awesome yard. Your pics of the babies is amazing
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS!!! Your garden(s) are stunning Amy. The thought of sitting in a wicker chair, with a good book and a glass of iced tea, among all those heavenly smells, on a warm summer day....heaven! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden photos. Love the photo of the birdies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! your have an amazing yard. so so beautiful and that nest of baby robins is just precious. thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your backyard is absolutely gorgeous! TFS.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy this is incredible. I love your garden. What a great area to be inspired by. I miss the IL garden and yard I had. Here in NC it is so hot and dry nothing grows. This makes me homesick. Love the babies too.. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I am so glad that you are photographing your yard so that I can enjoy it too~ it's amazing. I can just image how wonderful it smells. Thanks so much for sharing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW ... your gardens are as beautiful as always!! I agree with my daughter ... I can certainly imagine sitting in this lovely landscape enjoying a glass of ice tea and conversation with you!
    A lot of work but so worth it ... just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love feedback from my readers. If you have a blog, I always return the love by visiting within a week whoever leaves a comment.